Thursday, December 2, 2010

Reflections for 12/2/10

"The Church is not an end in itself; the Church is a means. The Kingdom is the end. And whenever we make the means into the end, we have created an idol. It is the major sin in the Bible-maybe the only one."(R.Rohr "Radical Grace" p. 7)

I'll have to admit that I've always liked Church. It is there that I encounter God most deeply. I do understand that encounters with the divine can happen outside of the walls of a church.

What I suppose I need to be careful of is not loving the church more than I love God. It is a danger, so many of us love our buildings that we risk forgetting why the building exists in the first place.

I do know that there are other aspects of my life that run a similar risk. Sometimes I wind up loving the journey more than the destination. I might enjoy doing the work more than completing the project.

I should always remember what the goal is. Sometimes there may be more than one means to achieving it. And while I always want to enjoy as much as possible the way that I get things done. I do need to get them done.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment