Sunday, December 12, 2010

Reflections for 12/12/10

"Amen. Lord Jesus, come soon!"(R.Rohr "Radical Grace" p.19)

Around this time of year, there are lots of parties. Every religion that I can think of has some winter time festival. So we invite friends and family to come. We rarely invite someone we hope won't come, though I suppose etiquette requires it.

Christians have been saying and hoping the above quote for thousands of years. The Revelation to John ends with that hopeful invitation. And while I recite through the creed the expectation of Jesus' coming again, I won't say that I go to bed disappointed that today wasn't the day.

I also know that the Bible is clear that I can't and won't know the day, and because of that I try to live each day with the expectation that today could be the day. I won't say that if he shows up today everything would be as I would like it to be.

So I'll keep living the Advent expectation of Jesus' second coming. And look forward to seeing anyone who chooses to come.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment