Saturday, December 4, 2010

Reflections for 12/4/10

"I have committed myself to joy. I have come to realize that those who make space for joy, those who prefer nothing to joy, those who desire the utter reality, will most assuredly have it."(R.Rohr "Radical Grace" p.9)

Most of us know something about commitments. I'm committed to my family, my friends, my church. I've lately become committed to my physical and mental health. I find keeping my commitments and working on them, is good for me and my outlook on life.

I would also add that I like this notion of a commitment to joy. It is partially for me a commitment to being happy. It is also a commitment that goes well beyond just the feeling of happiness. Joy is an ability to persevere even when the odds seem stacked against me. Joy is also for me a firm sense of the presence of God in and around me.

All of these commitments require me to make space and or time for them. I also find that joy is the one thing that weaves in and out of all the other commitments. I feel joy when I am most present with those commitments.

In this Advent Season, I'll continue to seek out joy whenever and wherever I can find it.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment