Thursday, December 9, 2010

Reflections for 12/9/10

"I've never in my years as a Catholic Christian heard a sermon on the Tenth Commandment. we can't possibly preach on 'Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's goods' because Western society is based on that. It's called capitalism. mass advertising tells us we need things none of us need. It sows confusion about what's important for life. The level of need has moved to such a level of illusion and sophistication that what were once ultimate luxuries have become necessities. In our culture, people cannot feel good about themselves unless next year's vacation is more luxurious than last year's unless everything is upgraded-while most of God's people on this earth starve."(R. Rohr "Radical Grace" p. 14-15)

I have to admit, I too cannot recall ever hearing a sermon on the 10th commandment. I'm fairly certain that I have also never preached on the 10th commandment. I'd like to say it is because the lectionary doesn't cover it, but that's probably not true. It may be that as Fr. Rohr points out that may hit too close to home for most of those hearing it, and sadly it would hit too close to home for myself as well.

While I won't steal anything from my neighbor, it would not be true to say that I don't see what others have, at least materially, and not feel some level of envy. I watch enough TV to know that I'm bombarded with temptations to buy things I don't need, but they sure make me want it.

When I get into that covetousness it is amazing how negative the focus is, it becomes all about what I don't have. The sad part is I lose sight of what I do have. My car may not be the best, but it still runs. My TV may not be HD or 3D, but it still works. I may not have the smartest cell phone, but it makes calls. I may not be able to rent shore front property or hop on a plane to Europe, but I've loved my summer vacations with my family.

Certainly this time of year, covetousness rears its ugly head all to easily, how strange that the madness gets really going the day after we are supposed to give thanks.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment