Friday, December 24, 2010

Reflections for 12/24/10

"Tonight Jesus enters Bethlehem as a stranger, as refugee, as outsider. Can we make room in our overstuffed inn?"(R.Rohr "Radical Grace" p.29)

Today I finished the last of the secular aspects of Christmas, few more presents bought, one last run to the supermarket. Even got a workout in the gym. In a few hours I'll head over to church for the first of two services this evening.

I've always loved Christmas Eve. I love the hymns, the familiar Gospel story. The anticipation of waking up the next morning (though admittedly that is waning).

And as I reflect on all the manic last minute activity I witnessed today, and really that's been going on for a while, it is hard to imagine how we have any room in our inns either.

And yet isn't the real reason for all of this to make room for the Christ. To ponder along with Mary what all these greetings are about. So I'll come tonight and adore him. I'll listen for the Christmas Angels with their great glad tiding to tell. I don't know if it will be a Silent night.

And perhaps in all of the hubub, Christmas will come once more.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment