Thursday, December 23, 2010

Reflections for 12/23/10

"It takes a prophet of sorts one who has traveled the highway before and remembers everything, to guide us beyond our blind, selective remembering. Choose your friends carefully and listen to those who speak truth to you, who help you remember all things, 'so that you may value the things that really matter, up to the very day of Christ.'(Philippians 1:10)"(R.Rohr "Radical Grace" p. 27)

I certainly am blessed with many friends. All of them are important to me in one way or another. My best friend is of course my wife. There isn't anything I wouldn't tell her, and I'd be hard pressed to think of anything she doesn't know about me. Though I suppose in any marriage, the couple always discovers something new, hopefully it is something positive.

There are also two friends who fit the above description very well. I am able to share with them in ways that I wouldn't normally do. I believe I am able to be the same sort of friend to them as well. We don't have to choose our words carefully when we're together. There is not topic off limits, and I value their opinions and observations.

I also know that my relationship with God is similar in that I can tell God anything. I doubt that God turns to me for advice. But I'm happy that God's ear is lended to me.

Who in your life is that close a friend? Do you have someone who the conversations and presence is truly a two way street? If not where do you turn? Even if we are blessed with that type of earthly friend, if faith is important to us, then God can be that friend also.

As the Christmas season approaches, why not give thanks for those friendships that nurture and sustain us.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment