Sunday, December 26, 2010

Reflections for 12/26/10

"We thought solidarity was being nice and affirming, but ultimately it's to stay in there with brokenness and let it lead you where it will, and to be willing to pay the price."(R.Rohr "Radical Grace" p.32)

Many of you may recall the Solidarity movement in Poland. It certainly was a movement that started the end of the Soviet Block. It was interesting to watch as a younger person from the safety of the American shores as they fought against the government that was oppressing them.

I wouldn't say that I did much beyond admire from afar, however. There are certainly folks that I feel some level of solidarity with in the world today. Folks who are in nursing homes, young people, the poor. Folks for whom my ministry encounters regularly.

But how much of my own comfort zone am I willing to risk on behalf of those folks? Or have I developed a solidarity that is akin to being "with you in prayer." Basically saying I'm not as with you as I could be.

Most of us know where our sympathies and empathy's lie. I wonder how many of us would be willing to risk it all to be in solidarity with those whom the rest of the world wants to ignore or attack?

I do believe that most of us would be there for folks close to us. How far those boundaries can extend is really up to us.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment