Saturday, December 11, 2010

Reflection for 12/11/10

"Once we have met and accepted our inner opposite, there is nothing more to defend and nothing more to be afraid of."(R.Rohr "Radical Grace" p. 17)

I certainly do have a wide range of acquaintances. The more I look at the interests and backgrounds of people I associate with, I'm struck by the diversity of it all. I have friends that are older than me. I have friends that are younger than me. Our experiences growing up are different, and yet somewhat similar. I have friends that are female. I have non-Caucasian friends. I have friends that are homosexual. I have friends that are not Christian. I have friends that are conservative in their politics.

Why do I see these friendships as gifts from God? First because they help me to see and appreciate the world from a perspective that is not mine. I get a much fuller picture of the reality of living in our world. I also am able to see my own biases better and also to clarify what I believe, think and feel when I have those other viewpoints to compare with.

Many people stay away from folks who are not "just like them." How funny it is that in doing so it is usually from a defensive and fear filled position. While there may be some comfort in being surrounded by folks just like me, that's not the real world. I'm thankful for having grown up in a diverse community, though it wasn't always easy. I'm thankful for the diversity that I experienced in college and seminary, a lot of personal growth took place as a result. I continue to be thankful for adult friendships which continue to broaden my horizons.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment