Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Reflections for 12/29/10

"We must go to the edges and discover what the questions really are, what true success is, and we must face our own failure."(R. Rohr "Radical Grace" p.34)

There is a quote from the Apollo 13 Space Mission "failure is not an option." I suppose that when it comes to matters of life and death, failure shouldn't be an option.  However in a good chunk of life failure often is a reality.

The longer I avoid failure, the more catastrophic it will be personally.  When we've only known success, we won't know how to learn from failure.  Watch people who've spent all their lives either always winning, when they actually lose, they do not know what to do.

The only other way to avoid failure of course is to never try at all. Although I would argue that in and of itself is failure. We cannot truly know the right answer, or what success really looks like until we have tried and failed.

As I look back on my own life, I can't even say for sure that I'm batting .500 when it comes to success/failure.  What I do know is that I have failed I usually can see quite well what went wrong, and have even from time to time be able to learn and grow from those experiences. There are of course also other failures which will have to remain just that.  But knowing what failure looks like, I have a real appreciation for when things truly go right.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment