Monday, December 13, 2010

Reflections for 12/13/10

"I'm all for sexual morality, but Jesus does not say that's the issue. In fact, he says the prostitutes are getting into the Kingdom of God before some of us who have made bedfellows with power, prestige and possessions (see Matthew 21:31-32)Those three numb the heart and deaden the spirit, says Jesus." (R.Rohr "Radical Grace" p. 18)

While I won't say that Jesus didn't have something to say to prostitutes also, I would note that Christians spend an awful lot of spiritual energy worrying about the sexual exploits of others. I'm not sure if it is because we are so morally righteous, probably not. Or if we're just somewhat envious and living vicariously through the lives of others and then get mad when ours doesn't seem so wild.

But I do fully understand the idea that attempting to embrace power, prestige and possessions, is truly draining, numbing and deadly. The games that have to be played to appear to have gotten anywhere exact an amazing toll. It is easy to lose sight of what is truly important, who one's real friends are, and it seems quite easy to lose everything while trying to gain more.

Sometimes in my smaller moments I do wish that I had more power, though admittedly over myself first would be a good place to start. I sometimes wish I was as important as I think I ought to be, while missing and/or ignoring the places where I am valued. And I can get wrapped up in the what I don't have materially, instead of enjoying what I do.

Trying not to get caught up in the pursuit of those "3 P's" is really a spiritual battle. When I'm at peace with myself, I can sense the presence of God, saying, Ed, you don't have it that bad, knock it off.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment