Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Reflections for 12/28/10

"There's a phrase that has become common in the world of theology today: The preferential option for the poor. It means God is biased towards the poor, toward those who live in unjust situations. Some people think this is some strange new theology."(R. Rohr "Radical Grace" p. 33)

I first heard this term in seminary in the early '90's. It comes out of the liberation theology movement, which my seminary loves. 

While I understand what it is saying, I do have some questions. How does this jive with the idea that "God shows no partiality."  Of course there are also plenty of places where scripture pushes care for the poor to the forefront. The song of Mary comes to mind.

I understand that some will tune out the notion because it comes to the forefront from Liberation Theology.  I'm not quite ready to dismiss it.

I do believe that God points us towards caring for the poor and needy in our midst.  I do believe that God also wants us to notice the poverty deep within ourselves, that also needs God.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment