Friday, December 17, 2010

Reflections for 12/17/10

"We think life is the thing that we've got to protect. Jesus' saying, No, the true self needs no protection. It just is; What we are usually protecting is the repetitive illusions and addictive feelings of the false self." (R.Rohr "Radical Grace" p. 22)

One of the greatest struggles, at least for me, has always been to see the real me. What is even more interesting as I self examine is to see how little protecting of myself I do.

There is a part of me that is deeply faithful and spiritual, but I don't make a huge display of it. My faith literally just is. I've never sought applause for it, or felt I needed to justify or defend it.

There is a part of me that loves deeply intellectual conversations. But I don't participate so that others will say, boy isn't he smart, but because I enjoy the topics.

There is a part of me that loves to clown around. Mainly because I'd rather have fun, or at least make something mundane enjoyable.

There is also a part of me that's actually shy. That's probably the part that doesn't get out much. I doubt you'd find too many folks who know me who would use that word to describe me.

I've been told that with me what you see is what you get. If that's true I hope I'm showing something positive. But if it's nothing but a wall to keep the real me from being shown, I may want to reevaluate.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment