Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Reflections for 12/22/10

"Memory is the basis of both pain and rejoicing: We cannot have one without the other."(R.Rohr "Radical Grace" p. 26)

Last night I went to my son's first dual meet of the wrestling season. My parents were also in attendance. During the match my mom asked me if I missed wrestling. And I had to admit that I did. The memories of it contain both pain and rejoicing.

When I reflect back on that time, I can remember those few times that I actually won a match. I can also remember coming very close to being part of a team that almost won the championship, by the way that is also a painful memory.

I know that if I could go back in time, I would do things very differently, not only with wrestling but with many things. Yet while I can remember the choices that I've made that didn't turn out so good, or were very painful at the time, I can see in hindsight where I've grown from those experiences.

I also know that I have many memories of rejoicing. Where things went very well. Where something occurred that really made me happy.

While both types of memories exist for all of us, which we choose to allow to dominate our presents and to shape our futures. While I won't ignore the painful memories and pretend like they never happened, I won't allow them to dictate who I am. And I will certainly turn back to the good memories, when I'm feeling down.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment