Thursday, December 30, 2010

Reflections for 12/30/10

"I cannot prove to you with any kind of logic, or by any bit of philosophy, for example, that this is the word of God, that God exists or that Jesus is Lord. But I call you to step out, trust, love. Say, 'Lord, if you are in fact the Lord, then show yourself in my life and speak to my heart.'"(R. Rohr "Radical Grace" p. 35)

While I don't have too many deep conversations with people about why I believe in God, especially with folk who are not inclined to believe it, I have to admit, I'm not sure I'd have an adequate answer.

I don't believe you can prove the existence of God by quoting the Bible.  For me understanding the Bible follows belief in God.  I suppose there are folks who read the Bible and then believed, but that wasn't how it worked for me.

I certainly have read a lot of theology over the years, but that didn't lead me to believe in God either.  It broadened my appreciation for the way different people have expressed their understandings of God.

To a certain extent I'm just your average run of the mill believer. I try to pattern my life after Christ.  I keep my ears, mind and heart open to what God is trying to tell me.  I keep my eyes wide open to see the signs of God's presence in almost everything I see.

I don't know if that way of living out my faith will win anyone over to the God that I know through Christ.  But it is the only way I know how to be.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment