Friday, December 10, 2010

Reflections for 12/10/10

"Grace comes when you stop being preoccupied and stop thinking that by your own meddling, managing, and manufacturing you can create it."(R.Rohr "Radical Grace" p.15)

There is a part of me that is a bit of a control freak. Ask my wife who gets to drive the car if we're in it together. While I don't micromanage, I'm not as good as I could be in sharing the work load.

Like most people I like to believe I'm in control, but boy when life throws me an ice patch, trouble starts to come. Yet the one thing that consistently seems to happen for me, is just when I feel I've lost control of a situation, when I've given up, that's when grace makes an appearance.

Perhaps grace has no chance of doing her thing, if I'm to busy trying to do my thing, which by the way is usually what got me into the predicament in the first place. I'm not saying that we should shirk all responsibility. That would be an excuse for laziness. But in those times when something is clearly not going the way we intened, we might be better off letting it go and see if grace has any interest in it.

Grace doesn't want or need our help. It needs us to be open to its possibilities and to let her do her work.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment