Friday, December 3, 2010

Reflections for 12/3/10

"We really need to be saved from the tyranny of our own judgments, opinions and feelings about everything, the 'undisciplined squads of emotions' that T.S. Eliot criticizes in his poetry. We must stop believing our false subjectivity that chooses to objectify everybody and everything else in the world-including God and our own soul. (Which is the likely reason why most Western individualists hate themselves. WE treat our own souls as objects to be dissected, judged and perfected.)"(R.Rohr "Radical Grace p.8)

I think its pretty rare when I don't actually have an opinion about something. What I've tried to do as I've gotten older is to learn when to share such opinions and when is it better to just let them stay where they originated.

I actually do try to have a positive opinion about most of what I have an opinion about, but of course there are things, and people and situations that I'm not so fond of.

I'm not a big fan of folks who come across as judgmental, for whom everything is framed in a negative. Of course I did just judge them, didn't I? What I find to be true that when I'm not feeling so great about myself, it is incredibly easy to start shooting off at the mouth. Everyone needs to know what Ed thinks.

The sad part in constantly sharing every opinion one has, is that eventually people stop listening. Which is unfortunate when you actually have something to say.

There are plenty of references in scripture to the tongue and the mouth, and how they get one in a lot of trouble. Regrettably I have found this to be all too true sometimes.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment