Saturday, January 15, 2011

Reflections for 1/15/11

"To do for yourself the best that you have it in you to do-to grit your teeth and clench your fists in order to survive the world at its harshest and worst0is, by that very act, to be unable to let something be done for you and in you that is more wonderful still."(F.Buechner "Listening to Your Life" p.13)

Our country's greatest lore is around the idea of pulling yourself up by your own bootstraps. Nobody owes you anything, and to ask for help is to possibly emasculate yourself.  While there are certain things in life, I need to do for myself, I do find having helpers and companions along for the journey makes it more interesting and a  lot less frustrating.

Today I went to the gym. I did  my workout without my trainer, but it was not nearly as interesting or fulfilling. He doesn't do any of the work for me, but his encouragement is incredibly important to me. I feel I literally have a better workout with him.

There is a trap in my profession called "lone rangering" and it usually has two disastrous results. First it tends to burn out people like me, makes a bitter.  And it actually stunts the maturation and growth of our churches.  Sharing the load is what makes healthy churches go.

It is hard, especially for us men, to ever ask for help, or directions too.  We risk being seen as failures when we do. And if we are truly aware of ourselves and trusting in our relationships with God, family and friends, the real failure would be to not ask for any help at all, when it is available and people want to do it for you.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment