Saturday, January 29, 2011

Reflections for 1/28/11

"God's coming is always unforeseen, I think, and the reason, if I had to guess, is that if he gave us anything much in the way of advanced warning, more often than not we would have made ourselves scarce long before he got there."(F. Buechner "Listening to Your Life" p. 25)

I saw a car recently in a parking lot, that had the exact date this year of the rapture and the end of the world. I inwardly laugh when I see what I believe to be something so utterly ridiculous and non-scriptural.  I didn't see the owner of the car to ask them what would allow them to make such a bold statement.  It probably would come down to some special revelation they'd been given, or something along those lines, which I wouldn't be inclined to believe either.

I find in scripture only the admonition that we cannot know the when.  I've never thought that we can't know because we'd get out of Dodge if we knew.  I've thought it more along the lines of how we'd do what we feel like doing, even those things we know we shouldn't do and then attempt to get back on track a couple of days or weeks ahead.

I don't know when Jesus is returning.  I believe he will some day. Maybe in my lifetime, maybe not.  I can't freeze in place waiting, but I can attempt to live my life as though I expect it at any given moment.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment