Saturday, January 8, 2011

Reflections for 1/8/11

"He is our pilot, our guide, our true, fast, final friend and judge, but often when we need him the most, he seems farthest away because he will always have gone on ahead, leaving only the faint print of his feet on the path to follow. And the world blows leaves across the path. And branches fall. And darkness falls."(F. Buechner "Listening to Your Life" pp. 7-8)

There certainly are a lot of ways to describe one's relationship with Christ.  I certainly like the hymn "What a Friend We Have in Jesus."  I also know that sometimes our lips say things that are not always what we are feeling or experiencing at that moment.

When we look to Christ to rescue us, I do think we often feel more distance than closeness.  It is hard to get physical connection with God.  That idea of Christ having gone on ahead, showing the way, leaving footprints or markers to guide our path does work for me.  I do see life as journey. And I do believe that the human journey is one Christ has walked before. 

Yet I also know that there are other things that can block my seeing those footprints, those markers.  And sometimes I have to clear the debris from my path, look around again for the footprints that I know, and start walking again.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment