Saturday, February 26, 2011

Reflections for 2/25/11

"Nothing in American history is more tragic surely than the relationship of the black and white races." (F. Buechner "Listening to Your Life" p. 55)

Racism is one of the many "isms" that infect our country.  In spite of much progress in this realm it is still quite active and playing in our society.  The election of Barack Obama, the first African-American President brought it back to the surface as an issue I believe.

I know that my Diocese is trying to address the issue through training workshops.  I've been to one, and frankly I think its a good start but missed the point.  We watched a video and the first scene is the KKK burning a cross.  In my opinion that allowed all us good white folk to check out. Hey we don't burn crosses, we're not part of that terrorist organization.  And could fall comfortably back into our notion that some of our friends are black and can't we just sing "We shall overcome" and go back home.

For me the biggest problem with trying to address racism is that no one can seem to agree on a definition.  And that prejudice is often seen as a synonym for racism and it isn't.  Racism, like all the "isms" is about power over based on race, gender, age etc.  I may not be a bigot, but there are still elements of racism that I probably subconsciously hold.

Unlike many of my white clergy colleagues I grew up in an integrated school system. Metuchen was not lily-white, though sections of it surely were.  I actually had in my K-12 experience six teachers of color.  That may not seem like a huge number, but how many suburban schools have that many?  I know that three of them I really liked and felt affirmed by. I also know that it felt like three hated me and made my life miserable.  I doubt the difference in our race had much to do with it, but it gave me an appreciation for what my black classmates must have occasionally felt.  I also will add that being an integrated school was not easy for me.  My parents thought it was great, but I spent most of my time being afraid, especially in elementary school, I was a very easy target.  Also being one of the smarter kids, there was only a few of the black kids that were with me, and I don't recall any males.

It wasn't until college that my built up racist views really got called into question. There I found black students who were at a minimum my intellectual equals, and in some cases were even smarter than me. I began at that point to let a lot of internal garbage go.

I also have had the benefit of working under black leaders. It is another really good way of breaking down that wall.  In my own church I have had people of color in leadership roles.  Steps towards eradicating racism.

I have a feeling that really the only way we will ever truly come close to eliminating racism, is through relationships.  When we can get past the "some of my best friends are black" mentality.  When we can really listen and not get defensive when folks who aren't white, let us know how the world works for and against them, it will be even bigger steps towards that goal.

And of course the first steps always begin with me.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment