Saturday, February 19, 2011

Reflections for 2/19/11

"That life is grace for instance-the givenness of it the fathomlessness of it, the endless possibilities of its becoming transparent to something extraordinary beyond itself. That-as I picked up somewhere in Jung and whittled into the ash stick I use for tramping around through the woods sometimes-vocatus atque non vocatus Deus aderit, whic I take to mean that in the long run, whether you call on him or don't call on him, God will be present with you. That if we really had our eyes open, we would see that all moments are key moments. That he who does not love remains in death. That Jesus is the Word made flesh who dwells among us full of grace and truth.  On good days I might add a few more to the list. On bad days it's possible there might be a few less." (F. Buechner "Listening to Your Life" pp.50-51)

Do I see life all of life as grace?  I hope I do, but I'm certainly more convinced that I see grace filled moments in my life.  That's probably where the list grows.  I've also had some not so grace filled moments, probably when the list gets shorter.

Perhaps it is that grace is not something to be kept like a score in a game.  Grace just is.  When I wake up each morning and I"m still alive, my wife is still there, my kids still there, that's grace.  When I pour milk on my cereal and enjoy my second cup of coffee that's grace. When throughout the day opportunities arise to do what I do well, that's grace.  When I go home and enjoy a good dinner that's grace. When I fall asleep on my bed that's grace.

When I have a shouting match with my wife or kids, that too is grace, because in the end it can lead to reconciliation, or clearing the air a bit.  When I really make poor decisions, that too may be grace, because I might see the error of my ways and get back on track.

We all know those amazing moments of grace. We should probably pay more attention to the mundane moments of grace, and allow grace to also work in and through us in those less graceful moments.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment