Monday, September 15, 2014

Reflection for September 15, 2014

"And they took offense at him. But Jesus said to them, 'Prophets are not without honor except in their own country and in their own house.'"(Matthew 13:57)

Next month I'm going back to Metuchen, my hometown, for my 30th High School reunion.  I'm not going back with any fear or trepidation or expectation of being rejected.  Most of the people who will be at this reunion, know that I'm a priest but also know that I'm not a holier than thou kind of person.
Perhaps if I'd gone back before the Facebook era, it might have been different.  Reunions are funny that way, people recalling by gone days and some perhaps keeping you frozen in time. 

I find it true that who I am now is not exactly who I was as a person growing up.  Are any of us really.  And while who I was growing up wasn't all that bad, no bizarre reputation to live down, there might be some who could not allow for the growth that I've had as person.

Maybe that's why for some of us going back to our hometown is something we avoid for the most part. Can we be taken seriously for who we are now?  Or will we still be that same person that they remember, even if we'd just assume forget.

There are of course others who never leave their hometown.  Perhaps they grow to become different in the locals eyes.  But it is also possible that they can get just as stuck in the past.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment