Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Reflection for September 17, 2014

"Yes, Lord, yet even the dogs eat the crumbs that fall from their masters' table."(Matthew 15:27)

Sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me.  So goes the little child rhyme that was supposed to help us deal with the teasing and taunting from others that might be encountered when growing up.  I certainly can attest to the fact that I had more names thrown at me growing up than I care to recall.  I wish I could say that it didn't hurt, but that would be a lie. 

I certainly progressed to a point now where even if someone was to call me a name, I'd be more likely to have a snappy comeback.  It's a progression for sure, from the walk away with my head hung low and my tail between my legs, which is what I would do as a child, as a teen I probably would respond physically.  But as an adult, the snappy comeback or a little humor works wonders for me.

I like the woman's response to Jesus.  Snappy comeback for sure.  He implied that she was nothing more than a dog.  But rather than walk away defeated, she stood her ground and responded in a way that opened Jesus' eyes to her real humanity.

What are those times when we need to stand up for ourselves, not by denying what was said, but offering the other person a different perspective.  Catch them off guard and get them to examine their own biases.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment