Saturday, September 6, 2014

Reflection for September 6, 2014

"Beware of practicing your piety before others in order to be seen by them; for then you have no reward from your Father in heaven."(Matthew 6:1)

At the end of August I was out in Seattle. The Thursday before I left I had the chance to walk around the streets of that city.  On at least two occasions I saw a person standing on the corner with a sign, telling others to either accept the Lord Jesus, or something about the 10 commandments, they were clearly in favor of them.

I had a fleeting moment of temptation to go engage them by asking how they understood Matthew 6.  Did it mean anything to them given what they were doing.  I chose not to give into that temptation for a couple of reasons.  First, I was more interested in sight seeing than entering into a theological debate.  Second, I doubted they would understand or get my point. Finally, I realized I had made a promise to respect the dignity of every human being and getting in their face would violate that and bring me down to a level I wasn't interested in.

I do wish that more people would spend time doing things in the name of Jesus that he actually told us to do.  I doubt that standing on a street corner does much to honor the Lord, but probably reinforces the feeling of those who are doing it, that in their suffering and rejection by others they are honoring God.  Again if their passion could only be channeled in a different direction.

While I don't stand on street corners, I do wonder if there are things I do that amount to practicing my piety before others, so that I'll be noticed by them.  Yes I should practice my piety but only to strengthen my relationship with God.  The moment I seek accolades from others I'm in trouble.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment