Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Reflection for September 24, 2014

"Whatever you ask for in prayer with faith, you will receive."(Matthew 21:22)

Prayer is an important part of the Christian life.  We are called to prayer daily.  We have prayers of intercession and prayers of thanksgiving.  Ultimately for me prayer is a continued dialogue with God and a way of keeping other people and the world in front of me.

I don't believe prayer is a mechanism for wish fulfillment.  I do believe prayer helps me prioritize and sort through my wants and my needs.  I do pray for healing for others.  That might be a physical healing but it may also be the strength to meet the challenge of bad health. Can there be a peace of mind. 

This passage challenges what I think about prayer.  The promise that I will receive what I pray for if done in faith, has not always materialized.  Is the problem the faith behind the prayers?  I don't think so.  And yet I know people who pray for things to happen and they do, and others who may pray for the same type of thing and be disappointed.  Yet I find it hard to conclude that one's faith was stronger than the others.

I have heard that people have been advised that sometimes God's answer is no.  But that too makes God seem rather selective.  I find it truer that a response comes but it doesn't always look like what I expected.  Sometimes what is received may be even more than I could have  asked or imagined.  And may actually be what I really wanted and needed deep within.

I won't stop praying just because I haven't won the lottery, and people continue to get sick and die.  I will always pray that in the midst of disappointments and sometimes joy filled moments that God is truly there.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment