Monday, September 8, 2014

Reflection for September 8, 2014

"In everything, do to others as you would have them do to you; for this is the law and the prophets."(Matthew 7:12)

Everyone has heard of the "Golden Rule."  Some variation of it can be found in every religion, every philosophical school.

I've heard it phrased in a cautionary way, "do not do to others what you would not want them to do to you."  And while I don't disagree with that, I like to frame things in a positive, and also this seems to be a way of stopping bad behavior not promoting good behavior.

When I have to choose an action I try to keep in mind Jesus' take on this ethic of reciprocity.  What will I do in that case.  If the situation was mine to receive action from another, what would I hope that they would do?  And then I try to go and do it!

It is also true that I don't see it as do unto others as they have done to you.  That just feels like revenge if it is a negative, though I will concede that it is also trying to keep you from going overboard in your response.  Of course if what occurs is positive, then it becomes almost a pay it forward moment.

But I still come back to treating others the way I want to be treated.  There response to that, is out of my control.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment