Thursday, September 4, 2014

Reflection for September 4, 2014

"And the Lord said, 'Look, they are one people, and they have all one language, and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will not be impossible for them.'"(Genesis 11:6)

If you hope to ever get anything accomplished as a group, communication is key.  Even if is not a group, but just you and one other person, understanding each other is essential.

If someone doesn't speak English, I'm at a loss, because I too don't speak other languages. I wish I did.  Four years of Spanish in High School got me no comprendo.

But I also know that my lack of knowledge in other languages is just one stumbling block to communication. I can think that what I'm saying is quite clear and still get a response of I don't understand.

In this passage God doesn't seem pleased with human cooperation.  That's why he causes them to babble.  Perhaps what he saw them doing was not cooperating in any way that was positive.  They were on the same track just the wrong one.

I always long for greater cooperation and understanding with others.  Wouldn't it be wonderful if not only things wouldn't feel so impossible but that they would also be things worth doing together.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment