Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Reflection for September 2, 2014

"Now after they had left, an angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph in a dream and said, 'Get up, take the child and his mother, and flee to Egypt, and remain there until I tell you.'"(Matthew 2:13)

In my 48+ years on the planet I have moved 10 times.  The first two moves were because my father accepted a call first to a church in Olathe Kansas, and then when he was called to Metuchen, NJ.  So those moves I had no control over, they were a result of my father following a call.  The next move was to Grinnell Iowa for college.  While that may not technically be a move, in many ways it was because I did relocate for parts of the year and felt just as much at home there.  It is also true that I was following a call to go to college.  While I never dreamed about Grinnell, I can see how God played a role in bringing me there.  Same was true for the next move to Newburgh NY, there pursuing a call to be an Admissions Counselor.  Hindsight shows me why God sent me there, I met Gail!

Next came a move back to Metuchen in order to enter the ordination process.  Again no dream, but certainly following a call from God.  Then up to Cambridge MA for seminary.  No dream, but God certainly sent me there via better financial aid.

Then came the move to Cherry Hill as I began my vocation.  A bigger house was needed with the impending birth of Michael. Unfortunately we had to flee that place, but then landed in Barrington NJ. Again no dream, but God's guiding and protecting hand present throughout.

Lastly 19 years ago, the move to Wenonah.  I don't recall dreaming about Wenonah. but it has been a dream to be here.  I don't know if and when I will move again, but I hope that it will be because of a clear call from God.  That it won't be because I have to flee.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment