Friday, June 11, 2010

Reflections for 6/10/10

"Most of the martyrs were not killed simply for religious reasons. Throughout Christian history there's always been plenty of overlap between Church and state, politics and prayer. It was so with the English martyrs of the Reformation, with the Japanese martyrs; it was true with the early Roman martyrs. We easily forget that truth. Now when we see, for example the martyrs of the poor Church of El Salvador, people say, 'I'm no sure they were really martyrs for Christ. They were making waves with the state. But it has always been that way. True religion, precisely because it is so holistic, is a threat to the system. The system can't tolerate free people who don't bow before the idols of the system, whatever they might be."(R. Rohr "Radical Grace" p. 214-215)

There are many reasons that I'm thankful to live in America. One of them is the freedom to worship as I choose. I also enjoy the freedom to allow my religious convictions to inform my politics, without living in fear of the government coming and killing me. As long as I'm not stock piling a small arsenal and calling for its immediate violent overthrow, I'm safe.

I've always been in awe of martyrs. While thankful that I most likely will never have my faith convictions become something I have to defend to my literal death, it is impressive that there were and are still folks willing to do so. I would hope that I would have the courage to do so, but it would certainly be speculative at best.

Here in America we have a strange relationship with mixing politics and religion. While I may not want every political decision to be based on a quote from the Bible, I would like to believe that any politician who truly has a faith, would be taking real time to actually pray about any decision they are making.

The problem is that in our country if we like the decision and it's based on a faith commitment we applaud it. If we don't like the decision even if it is based on a faith commitment will scream in outrage. And by the way, this happens whether the decision is coming from a liberal or a conservative point of view.

One of the great struggles for people of faith is to not use faith as a crutch to say why you're for or against something, unless you're willing to go both directions. We Christians need to remember that there are certainly bible quotes that seem "Conservative" in our limited world view, but there are an equal number that would be "Liberal". And if we're going to break out the bible to support our positions I suppose that's fine, but don't go nuts when the other side of the aisle does the same.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment