Sunday, June 20, 2010

Reflections for 6/20/10

"I hope for more truth, more real edges and influence, more energy for the inward journey, more prophecy, more right-brain intuition, more adoration, more real security, more spiritual and political hope for the human heart-just big enough and strong enough 'fora ll the birds to come and shelter in its branches'(Matthew 13:19). But not so big that we forget, or do not need, or imagine that we are the only tree."(R. Rohr "Radical Grace" p.224-225)

The church that I serve as priest in is not huge. Yet it is also not small. We are in that tweener space. I certainly believe we are in a good place spiritually and financially. I think we are able to speak the truth in love with each other. I believe our horizons are expanding. I don't know how much influence we have. There certainly is energy and people are getting more attentive to their personal prayer lives.

Faith communities need more of the things that make for strong faith communities. We've spent too much time and spiritual energy believing that the only thing that matters is numerical growth.

I suppose there is a place for huge churches. They obviously fulfill a need. But I like a place where individuals matter more than programs. Yet at the same time, where every meeting is not about what bills to pay this month, and can we keep our doors open.

When we focus on mission, whatever growth is needed to fulfill that mission will occur.

And I believe that is true with any part of our lives. When we grow to big for our britches, we rarely are truly who we are called to be.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment