Saturday, June 12, 2010

Reflections for 6/11/10

"The reason we have trouble with the full incarnation in Jesus probably is that we have not been able to recognize or admit our own limited incarnation. We must trust that God's process will give the conclusion."(R. Rohr "Radical Grace" p. 216)

I'm not sure I actually have trouble with the full incarnation in Jesus. Of course I admittedly don't spend a lot of my waking time worrying about it either. There is a part of me that is willing to accept it on faith, and go from there. Of course it may also be that I don't fully understand all the ramifications of it either. I do know that without the incarnation nothing else in my faith will make much sense or have any real purpose. But it still begs the question what does it really mean.

And maybe Rohr is right that I don't wrestle with that question because to do so would mean I have to wrestle with my limited incarnation. That part of me that is the image of God. Am I really living up to that? Do I choose to walk a path when I'm not certain where it will eventually lead.

To be able to do so means that I have to trust that God who begins thins within us, has a particular conclusion in mind. The twists and turns along the way, the bumps in the road if you will are where free will plays its part. But ultimately the conclusion is still there. I have to start somewhere to get somewhere. Will I trust that limited incarnation in me is really enough to see this journey through?

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment