Sunday, June 6, 2010

Reflections for 6/5/10

"Merton had enough freedom from the system to be able to understand the system and creatively critique it. He was enough apart from it to, in fact, enter back into it with insight, knowing what the questions are and often having the correct responses. That's the simple definition of a prophet."(R. Rohr "Radical Grace" p. 210)

It is often true that the best way to fully get what's going on and to formulate an appropriate response requires some distance. A retreat leader I once heard called it stepping onto the balcony.

If I'm too caught up in what is going on, I lose perspective. I'm merely engaging in the manic of the moment, which is usually not the most prayerful place to be. There is also a real chance that I might react in a negative or defensive way, rather than a thoughtful and helpful way.

I also know that I will listen to critiques from those who are still invested in the process, institution etc.

Folks like Thomas Merton seemed to know how to keep one foot in the institution while giving enough space not to be eaten alive by it. When I give myself room for perspective, I'm sometimes truly astounded by how much clearer what's really going on becomes, and how the solution is really right there.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment