Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Reflections for 6/26/10

"We're laughed at by the practical ones of this world. They ask, What do you have to show for your work? We're fishing around. We're out enticing hearts and calling them into love. Ours is a catch hard to measure, and the product is never completed by the five o'clock whistle."(R. Rohr "Radical Grace" p. 231)

You priests have it easy, you only work on Sunday. Most of the time when someone says this I know I'm being ribbed, and that's alright, I can be a teaser too. But the work that I do is not really measurable. I find that when the church tries to apply business models to measure success/failure, most of us would wind up failing.

Sometimes I feel like I'm in a real life version of Mr. Holland's Opus. Where I'm not sure what I'm doing matters until the last concert.

I realize that on any given day, I may be doing something that matters more than other days.
But in the grand scheme of things my sales chart may not be huge, my indexes may seem to fluctuate. But the bottom line looks pretty good.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment