Thursday, June 24, 2010

Reflections for 6/23/10

"Perfection is not the elimination of imperfection. That's our Western either/or, need-to-control thinking. Perfection, rather, is the ability to incorporate imperfection! There's no other way to live. You either incorporate imperfection, or you fall into denial. That's how the Spirit moves in or out of our lives"(R. Rohr "Radical Grace" p. 228)

The Bible of course says that we are to be perfect as our Father in heaven is perfect. Seems like a lofty goal to me. But perhaps like many things that involve God, how I understand perfection is not how God would. Much like measuring time.

There are certainly enough wrinkles in my everyday life that I've come to see that there are far better uses of my time than trying to iron out every one of them. Certainly any huge ones need attention, ones that truly distort the image of God that I bear. But the wrinkles are there to remind me to keep striving, and at the same time that I am not God.

The Spirit remains alive and moving within by helping me to live with my imperfections, to not waste time on them. It also allows me to accept the imperfections in others, rather than harping on the constantly.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment