Sunday, August 15, 2010

Reflections for 8/13/10

"That will come up in every attempt at union and every attempt at community. We begin to see the parts of one another, those parts that we do not like. The way we learn to love is by walking through those: not around by avoidance, not underneath by spiritualizing, not over by denial- but through by incarnation."(R. Rohr "Radical Grace" p. 277)

I certainly know that my wife loves me. I also know that my parish loves me, not of course in the same way. I'm also pretty certain that if you were to ask Gail, or any random member of my parish they would tell you that I'm not perfect. That there are aspects of who I am or how I do things that do not please them.

I certainly have been confronted by people who love me. No one has tried to pretend they don't exist, or prayed em away. In the cases where love is evident, we walk with them because its incarnational, because that is where God is. In the midst of things we'd like to change but can't. In the midst of loving someone or some group, but not finding it to be perfect.

Sometimes we quit on things to early. And there are of course times when the bad outnumbers the good so significantly that we have to move on. But how much more blessed when we learn to live with the imperfections of others, and how stronger we are when we choose to work on our own imperfections.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment