Thursday, August 5, 2010

Reflections for 8/5/10

"The foundation of fundamentalism is fear. When people feel distance from the Father, they may feel they can't trust him because he is hard and out to get them. When they believe they can't please the Father, they get into what the Church has so often gotten into, in almost every denomination, the merit/demerit system. They need to make sure they are right with the distant Father...Fundamentalism creates a system of words, bible quotes and techniques for salvation that are supposedly certain, so you can always know the ground on which you stand and keep the feared Father on your side. It's very popular today n America, and wherever else the family system is collapsing and fathers are absent or abusive."(R. Rohr "Radical Grace" p. 269)

Fear is definitely a factor in many people's lives. When our fears take control of our thinking and being, we slip not only into fundamentalism in a religious sense, but also into political and economic ones as well. It also leads into a retreat deep to within oneself.

FDR was right that the only thing we have to fear is fear itself. Yet the Bible does say we are to fear God. However I do not see that as being afraid of. It is much more to me having a sense of respect and awe. I did not grow up in a household where there were merit/demerit systems in place.

I personally do not get much out of easy answers and pious platitudes. Yet I will always draw some level of strength from scripture. But I will incorporate it into my life, by reading, marking and inwardly digesting. I'll allow it not only to comfort but to challenge.

But most especially I'll allow it to help me understand the God who is not distant and out to watch my every move waiting for me to mess up. But instead to help me understand the God who is very near and wants to see me have life and have it abundantly.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment