Friday, August 27, 2010

Reflections for 8/27/10

"You have continued to create us and love us even though we have not always loved ourselves, our brothers and sisters, the many animals you have asked us to share this planet with, the plants, the water, the air. We ask your forgiveness, patient God., for our abuse of your many gifts. We ask that you give us eyes of love again for all living things, eyes of reverence for that which we did not create, eyes of healing for that which we have destroyed and overlooked."(R. Rohr "Radical Grace" p. 289)

I'm not the greenest of people out there. Yet I do have an appreciation for the beauty of creation. I love the outdoors. I enjoy walking in the woods. The hymn How Great Thou art speaks to me. And I truly love Genesis 1.

In the 7 day creation story we are told that humans are given dominion over creation. Unfortunately we have turned that into domination of creation. Dominion to implies a caring for and a good stewardship of the resources that we have. It is not a call to radical behavior, but to careful use of all that stuff that is not man made.

While I do believe that our planet exists through natural cycles, we do exasperate them with our non caring of the environment. With all the God given brain power that exists in our world, why we constantly go for the cheapest way out is a mystery to me.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment