Monday, August 30, 2010

Reflections for 8/30/10

"There is a difference between change and transformation. Change happens when something old dies and something new begins. I am told that planned change is as troublesome to the psyche as unplanned change, often more so. We feel manipulated, forced and impute it to some evil authorities, the change agents! But change might or might not be accompanied by transformation of soul. I'm afraid it usually is not. If change does not invite personal transformation we lose our souls. Such is the modern malaise. Wee mass-produce neurotics and narcissists because there are so few medicine men and healing women and Spirit guides to walk us through transformation."(R. Rohr "Radical Grace" p. 292)

Most people will tell you that they know something within their lives has to change. And simultaneously they fear that very change. Change will always happen, what we do with that change and how we react to it, is where transformation happens or doesn't.

As I watch the current malaise in our country, it seems to be mostly about change. Change that allegedly no one saw coming. It is as if millions of Rip Van Winkle's suddenly woke up and found the world was different and now they're mad about it.

I have certainly not been immune to change, and yet I don't feel as if things have been taken from me, or that I have been violated in some fashion.

The only thing I can attribute this too is the ongoing transformation that happens as a result of my relationship with God. The God who is the same yesterday, today and forever. The guarantee that through out all these changes, the person I am will still have a role, will still be valued. When I can grasp that reality, I'm more likely to avoid power grabs and grasping at at air.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment