Friday, August 6, 2010

Reflections for 8/6/10

"She realized so many of the men were in prison because they had never been told who they were, they had never been believed in by a man. So they moved into a violent and false masculinity, the destructive masculinity that occurs when one's manhood is not affirmed by other men. I wonder if the jails and prisons of the world would not be much emptier if young boys had true mentors, guides and fathers to bless them and initiate them into manhood."(R. Rohr "Radical Grace" p. 270)

Yesterday at the Leadership Summit I attended, one of the speakers was Tony Dungy, the former head coach of the Indianapolis Colts. He has a new book called the Mentor Leader and that coupled with his willingness to speak about his faith probably made him a good choice. He spoke of the need all of us have for a mentor, positive role models etc. And also for leader's to be mentors as well.

Most people have had a mentor of some kind. Whether that be in your occupation or just in living life. And usually that has good results. There are of course exceptions to every rule and there are people who have been blessed with good parents and positive role models, who still make bad choices.

There are also of course men who grow up without fathers who don't wind up in prison. Nothing is 100% guaranteed.

I hope that I have been a good mentor to my two primary responsibilities. I hope that perhaps I've mentored a few people in faith and affirmed them in their journey with Christ. I know that in the trying I have found much fulfillment and certainly hope to keep passing it on, and I give thanks for the mentors I've had and now have who keep me focused and affirmed as well.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment