Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Reflections for 8/31/10

"The values that we thought were roundly accepted are now roundly denied: racism is chic, war is a substitute for worship, materialism is the watertight myth, the poor are blamed for their condition, and religion, largely, is unimportant. Were we wrong, or is this the price that one pays for false innocence? Is there such a thing as social progress? Must we take two steps back for each step forward? As you probably suspect, I now answer each of these with a humble yes. But I am very happy I was formed in the lens-opening 60's, especially when I see the later alternatives. These alternatives threaten to close that lens through cynicism, discouragement, anger and darkness."(R. Rohr "Radical Grace" p. 293)

While I was born in the 60's, I would not claim that decade as formative for me. My parent's were certainly progressives, and involved in the causes of the day, heck they still are. But they weren't teenagers or college kids at the time, so maybe they weren't caught up in the rose colored innocence either.

When I was in seminary in the early 90's one of my classmates was part of that formed in the 60's people like Fr. Rohr. I also remember how retro-60's look had started a comeback, and I asked her what she thought of it. She said, "they missed out on the macing and the clubbings too, and I wouldn't wish that on anyone. One of my professors also made an observation that the term "politically correct" was a slam used by people who couldn't deal with the progress of the 60's.

I don't wax nostalgic for that time. But I do see that the negativity of our current era is a backlash to it. I don't have a lot of time for the racism, the xenophobia, and the poor pitiful me nonsense that many folks who look like me put out. I too wonder if the only way to strengthen the fragile psyche's of these folks is to tear down others.

I know that people are believing that is the only way. I however choose to believe that my personal self worth is not tied to someone else being beaten down.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment