Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Reflections for 10/13/10

"Jesus knew that happiness is an inside job, to borrow a phrase. And then he points up to these trees and these birds that you hear chirping above you and he says, be like them. They're not worried, so 'Stop all your worrying. Tomorrow will take care of itself.'(Matthew 6:34) It sounds a lot like the advice for happiness from the recovery movement. 'One day at a time.'"(R. Rohr "Radical Grace p.338)

Living one day at a time is certainly sound advice. Though I'd have to admit that it is incredibly hard. The huge day dreamer, and night worrier contemplates things so far down the road, that it's hard to not get overwhelmed.

I also find it very hard to let go of the past. Again the day dreamer and the night worrier, keeps trying to fix things that are already over, unfixable and unchangeable.

Today I could say I spent most of the day feeling happy. Yesterday was completely the opposite. Yet when yesterday began there was no way of knowing how it would turn out. Today when I awoke it was a new day. One that I could choose to start off receptive to being happy, or still miffed over the previous days nonsense. Fortunately I chose the more optistic approach.

I have no idea what tomorrow has in store for me. I hope to wake up ready to be happy. There are things on the schedule to do. There will no doubt be surprises that occur. How I handle those things will have a lot to do with the happiness meter.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment