Thursday, October 14, 2010

Reflections for 10/14/10

"I want to look at the experiences in your lives of people who've deeply touched you, who deeply changed you. They're people who are not afraid to be personal. Ideas really don't change people. People change people. Those who are truly bringing good news are people who know how to be in relationship, who know how to waste time with you."(R.Rohr "Radical Grace" p.339)

I once was reading a book that had 52 excercises one could do to improve. One of them was to think about the important people in your lives. Folks who'd influenced you. It even invited you to consider writing to them. I actually did this.

Probably at every major chapter in my life there have been incredibly influential people. I now actually know the criteria for getting into that exclusive club, you actually had to have cared about me as an individual. There are teacher's that I've had who fit that bill. There have been other clergy colleagues also, who have influenced me that way. Family of course.

And then there's an even deeper group, the friends that I could just waste time with, as the young folks would say, "just chillin." Where I can be me, no role to play, just enjoying a shared interest, baseball, heavy metal music, a book. Again through out my life I've had folks like that. I'm blessed to have some even today.

It is also enjoyable to remember those folks who may no longer play that role in my life, but are still an important piece of the history of Ed.

How about you? Who are those influential people in your life? If they are still alive, would you consider just sending a note to say, you may not know this, but you were really influential in my life. Do you today, have "friends" that you can just waste time with?

And if you are a person of faith, when was the last time you wasted time with God?

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment