Thursday, October 28, 2010

Reflections for 10/28/10

"Now, we folks who were loved as little children, who were beleived in and given good news, we can do it. We have inner ego-strength. We know we can influence, we know we can change, we know we can rise above it. But brothers and sisters, uch of the world doesn't know that. They don't know their power. No one gave them any good news. It often seems like this is the large majority of the earth's population."(R.Rohr "Radical Grace" p. 352)

I certainly know that I was loved as a child. Not in the way that I was constantly told how wonderful I was, or that I could not do anything wrong. I've heard that song sung too much lately by some parents. I also wasn't told how horrible I was, that I wouldn't amount too much, what a dissapointment etc.

To be overly praised I believe will raise a false self, just as easily as constant beratement will destroy. Somewhere between those to extremes lies the key to a healthy development.

I try my best to impart a message of hope and present a can do attitude. I try to believe in other people's inherent talents and goodness. I'm not beyond correcting or challenging, but that's not the first thing to come out of my mouth.

The parts of scripture that feed me the most are the one's where the compassion and mercy of God come forth. I know the judgement side is also there, but I don't make that my focus. Maybe it's because I've been loved by my earthly parents as well.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment