Saturday, October 9, 2010

Reflections for 10/9/10

"Real holiness doesn't feel like holiness; it just feels like you're dying. It feels like you're losing it. And yet, you're losing it from the center, from a place where all things are One, where you can joyously, graciously let go of it. You know God's ding it when you can smile, when you can trust the letting go."(R.Rohr "Radical Grace" p.334)

Those times in my life where I have had to let go of things that have sustained me, have been some of the toughest I can recall. There have been heart breaking ends to relationships where I was sure, there was permanence. There have been moves away from whole communities where the friendships really mattered.

In each of those times, the healing of the hurt and the loss of a close knit community have come as a result of being able to finally let go. To understand fully that it was the close of a chapter in my life, not the end of life itself. Much better to give thanks for the time shared than to wallow in the pity of what could no longer be.

I have also had to let go of some level of vocational dream. Have learned to put other considerations ahead of those. That too is a letting go. It may be forever, it may be for a season. Which ever way, I have certainly felt more at peace with it, than I thought possible.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment