Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Reflections for 10/6/10

"Our judgments separate us, aliente us, and, therefore, condemn us."(R.Rohr "Radical Grace" p.331)

Many of my favorite bible verses are the ones that involve judging. For example judge not and you will not be judged. The judgement you give will be the way you are judged. Who are you to judge a brother or sister.

These examples place judgements in a negative context. Yet where would be if we didn't judge something, weigh its merits, ponder whether it is worth our effort. Whether we really like something or not.

If we truly were free of judging, we'd have to be at a place of accepting the good and the bad that life has to offer. Everything would be about learning from experiences.

What I really here passages like those above saying is that I don't get to be the final word on other people. The more I do that the lesser I become. I stand condemned as someone who took a role for himself that was not his to take. I stand seperated from others because I've created a wall between us. I'm alienated because there it is a hard gap to bridge.

I'd rather stay clear of being judgmental and falling victim to those who feel called to judge.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment