Thursday, November 11, 2010

Reflections for 11/11/10

"We share as Christians in the eternal fate of God: not to succeed, to be poor and often to look foolish and defenseless. Once you say, 'I love you,' you stand foolish and exposed until the other says, 'I love you, too.' such is the fate of God."(R.Rohr "Radical Grace" p. 366-67)

I don't wish to relive unpleasant memories, but most of us have probably at some point in our lives, risked the words "I love you," to someone we're dating and have them not return the sentiment. That first rejection can often haunt us for a long time.

No matter how many times it happens to us, and hopefully it isn't often, it still stings. Yet somehow we are called to risk those words all the time.

Even in my 20 plus years of marriage, it is still important to say those words aloud to my wife. Even if I believe she knows it to be true, even if my actions should indicate it, they are words that are important to be said and heard.

In all of our most important relationships, family, friends and for some of us God, it is important to say those words. It is even more incredible to hear them said to us as well.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment