Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Reflections for 11/24/10

"We've got to teach the next generation the real meaning of generosity. Give yourself to your children, as opposed to just giving them things. You can't be with them all the time, but when you do have time, let them see you enjoy being with them. Let them see you value them simply for their own sakes."(R.Rohr "Radical Grace" p.389-90)

You probably would have to ask my children if they feel I've been present in their lives. If what I've been able to give them has made them feel loved and valued. I haven't been able to give them much materially. They tend to be behind the times electronically, but they do have some things.

While financially I may not have been able to give them as much as some of their peers had, I do think I gave them a good amount of time spent together. I hope they will remember the vacations we took together as a family, seeing the parts of our country. I hope they will remember me coaching them in baseball, wrestling and soccer. I hope they will remember going to Phillies' games and Heavy Metal Concerts.

There are two things in this world that we have: time and money. We are called to be generous with both. I hope I've modeled for my sons, how to give of time to family, church and community and to keep a proper balance.

Hopefully when they leave the nest, the world will be a better place for having people like Mike and Pete engaging their world.

Blessings,
Ed

1 comment:

  1. You are one of the most amazing fathers I know. What you give to your boys is the most awesome gift a parent could give. They will ALWAYS treasure the time you all spend together!

    ReplyDelete