Saturday, November 6, 2010

Reflections for 11/6/10

"Sin might also be described as a culture of blindness, a pattern of agreed-upon lies. It's a system that people get trapped in; We all tell the same lie, and therefore, it isn't a lie anymore. Sin is when life freezes and truth hides out of fear. It's when self--interest tells us what to remember and what to forget."(R.Rohr "Radical Grace" p. 362)

I have heard lots of definitions of "sin" but this was a new one for me. I'll admit I don't spend a whole lot of my waking time worrying about sin. Certainly not other people's. I probably do spend an appropriate amount of time worrying about the log in my own eye.

I do wonder about my capacity for self deception. If I keep telling myself everything is fine, is it actually? If I tell myself that I don't worry about the future, does that really mean that I'm not anxious or nervous? Are there other less than idea aspects of me, that I just ignore, because it's less painful to look at.

I try to keep my life moving, to not get stuck, but there are times when it feels like I'm riding a bike in a mud puddle. I also understand that fear of the unknown, the fear of taking a risk because it might not work.

I also know how easy it is to have selective memory and amnesia. To highlight all the wonderful things I've done, and brush away those times that I've messed up.

The good news, at least for me, is those times do not get to be the final answer as to who I am and what I'm about. That's where forgiveness walks in. When I'm finally ready to face the man in the mirror.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment