Saturday, November 20, 2010

Reflections for 11/20/10

"Real faith is too real to ignore. If a person is teaching religion without offering some faith to catch, then teaching religion is largely a waste of time. It becomes an immunization against the real thing."(R.Rohr "Radical Grace" p.373)

Think about the teacher's that have impressed you the most. What was it about them that left a positive impression? Was it there wealth of knowledge? Or was it something else.

For me the teachers that I have gotten the most from are the ones who seemed most passionate about their area of expertise. They didn't seem like they were just regurgitating the facts that they had learned. But more that the subject matter was the essence of what made their hearts and minds race.

This has been true for every academic area I've ever studied, and I've studied most of them. I have never doubted that my teachers have known their material, but some have been much better at conveying their own love and excitement for the material. It was practically contagious.

I know that I've studied theology, bible and religion fairly in depth. I know my stuff. More important to me is my love for the topic. When I have the opportunity to share my faith, under girded with knowledge, I'm at my best, and enjoying myself fully.

What about you, what do you teach well, because you care so deeply about it and it brings you real joy in sharing it?

If you haven't had a chance to reconnect with those areas, I hope you'll find your passion again.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment