Monday, November 15, 2010

Reflections for 11/15/10

"If you've had a moment in your life when you finally get the point, when a world is let go of, they you understands this text. We cannot welcome the new world order until we let go of the old. The illusion is that we can have both."(R.Rohr "Radical Grace" p.370)

I've probably had more than one "a-ha" moment in my life. Those times when everything seems quite clear, doors are opened, paths illumined etc. I've also found that those moments of clarity do not always last, or disappear before I have a chance to truly act upon them.

The text that Fr. Rohr speaks of is Jesus' prediction that the temple will be destroyed. Those who heard the story in the later part of the 1st century, knew that this in fact had happened. The ah-ha being that the world to which they were accustomed had been violently overthrown, not by Jesus, but by the Romans.

When huge paradigm shifts occur that old adage of hindsight being 20/20 kicks in. I'm able to see all that led up to the shift clearer after the fact, than while it was occurring.

Most of the time I find it hard to let go of cherished things of the past, that are no longer working for me. I suppose like many I want to have every choice to be getting it both ways. This is rarely possible, and probably not healthy. What I need is a greater clarity as to how the shift helps me, and to grasp it in a way that doesn't leave me feeling poorer.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment